Happy Slog Day

I have been told that today is Blog Day ('appy Blog Day to all fellow bloggers). But in the cricketing world, today (Aug 31st) needs to be remembered as the "Slog" Day.

On this very day in 1968 at St Helen's Swansea, Sir Garfield Sobers, playing for Nottingamshire hit six sixes in an over off the bowling of Malcolm Nash (Glamorgan). Purists would argue that there was no real slogging and that they were all good cricketing shots, but just for the sheer power of those heavy strikes, I would remember the day as the "slog" day. This post is meant to help everyone relive that amazing over.

From an old BBC link.
Nash saw his first two deliveries disappear into the stands of the Cricketer's Inn. The third went into the pavilion enclosure and the fourth was sent over the scoreboard. The fifth was driven straight and although Roger Davis caught it he fell over the boundary in the process, causing another six to be signalled.

Sobers fiercely pulled the sixth ball out of the ground and into St Helen's Avenue. The ball itself was not found until the following day.


And from an old interview that Sobers did for cricinfo in '98.
One of the things about the six sixes which really comes over me every time somebody asks a question, or says to me I've just seen them, or people always ask me about it.. It makes me feel that's the only thing I've ever done in the history of cricket. It wasn't really good cricket.. 6 6's are not good cricket, it was an occasion where we were looking for quick runs.. It was a team occasion, looking for quick runs, the idea was to try and get as many runs as possible. There were two versions of how to get quick runs.. The Everton Weekes version and the Lord Constantine version. Lord Constantine said you should hit the ball in the air, because there are no fielders there to catch it, but you have to be sure to hit it over the boundary line. Everton Weekes said if you keep the ball on the ground, then nobody can catch you.

On that occasion I chose the Lord Constantine version, since my wicket was not an issue, I decided I was trying to hit it in the air, and take the risks. It was only about the 5th six that I thought, here's something that hasn't been done, why not try it. Records have never meant a lot to me, if I have ever broken records, they have come in the stride of my duty to my team.. If you look in my career, you will find that most of the records, we won the matches, it wasn't a draw it was never a situation where we decided, I want to score 365 runs at all costs, or go and hit 6 sixes regardless, those thoughts never go into my mind. Always it goes into my mind that the team needs quick runs, you have to make them as fast as possible, getting out didn't matter.. I was captain, we had to get a lot of runs.. the score was 270-300 and I decided I'd have to take the chances to get them. Obviously I knew for the last ball he would change his action, he wouldn't bowl the last one slow, he was going to try and prevent me from hitting him for six sixes, he knew his name would be on the wrong end of the world record. I decided wherever the ball was bowled, I would go after it, I wasn't going to let it be a wide. Luckily for me, he dropped it short, and there was a short boundary on the leg side, and as soon as it hit the middle of the bat, it was all over but six sixes is not good cricket, it's not the kind of cricket that you want to teach youngsters!

Labels: , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment