"Gillespie needs to bowl at me in the nets to get back into form"

Aakash Chopra tells how he was dismissed 6 times in 6 tests by Gillespie and how much he feels now for his out-of-form nemesis.
He (Gillespie) was a craftsman at work and as a batsman, you could sense you were getting into a trap but were often helpless. He would bowl two consecutive bouncers at 140 to push you on the backfoot and then slip in a quicker ball pitched up but a little wide to tempt you.

I love the way he looks back at his final dismissal in Nagpur (his last test innings)..
I still remember my last dismissal at Nagpur when the ball (from Gillespie) swung away in the air, jabbed back in after pitching to beat my defences and crashed into leg stump. Everyone thought it an inside edge but it wasn't and just the quality of that ball defeated frontfoot defence. I would play the same ball the same way again so I didn't really blame myself. Honestly, it was just too good for me. Forget me, he did the same thing to The Wall himself shortly thereafter!

And finally, the last paragraph..
You need to be lucky at times, only talent isn't enough. If the team is doing well and you've done just about okay, you still hold on to your place (like Ian Bell in the Ashes). But God forbid, if your poor form coincides with the team's dismal showing, you could be history. Cricket can be a cruel game.

It tells you of someone who knows how hard it is going to be to make a comeback. He knows that he had his chances and that he blew them. With Gambhir continuing to do well as an opener and Jadhav being considered as the fall-back option, Chopra could well be history.

Labels: , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment