"You owe me a beer"

Courtesy: Cricinfo
Symonds (66 off 61) fell to a freak dismissal when his straight drive hammered into Michael Clarke's boot and lobbed to Dilshan. It mattered little by then, and as Symonds departed he grinned at a smiling Clarke and indicated he was owed a post-match pint.


I didn't get to see the game, but that sure sounds like a very bizarre dismissal. I realize that I'm tending to get nostalgic a bit too often in my posts lately. But I have to recount this one similar incident in a different game, at a different time. It was years ago, can't remember which year. It was during one of those tense street game run-chases where everyone (including people who have never smiled at you before or never knew you existed in the locality) in the neighborhood is cheering for you. I was batting at the non-striker's end and the best batsman in our team was at the other end. We were running for every cheeky run that we could manage. I was tending to back up too far before the bowler delivered and he rightly warned me about mankading me out. So the next delivery, I was so preoccupied in looking for the bowler to complete his delivery that I was slow in reacting to the uppish straight drive that was coming my way. I took my eyes off the ball and ducked, the ball bounced off my back and landed straight into the mid-on fielders hands. By the time I recovered from the painful blow, I had become an instant villain in the eyes of the neighborhood. We lost the game and it took a long time for everyone to forgive me.

Nay, I didn't buy that batsman a beer. I don't think I would have been forgiven even if I had bought beers for the whole neighborhood. They seemed intent on cutting me up right there and drinking my blood.

Labels: , , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment