Ice on the wall

Steve Waugh effuses praise on the Indian Skipper in an eloquent piece.
I had just completed my book "Out of My Comfort Zone" last year, and I thought a foreword penned by a cricketer would add to the book. I also decided that it should ideally be by an opposition player, as I felt that any Australian would paint a picture of me that might have been flattering but not entirely truthful. The first player who came to mind was Rahul Dravid. His was one of the most respected names in the game, he was honest and articulate, and in many ways played his cricket the way I did - not too flamboyant, mostly steady.

I called him, gave him a stiff deadline and asked him if he would be able to write it. Being the nice bloke that he is, he agreed immediately, and within a couple of days sent a wonderful piece for the book.

Rahul is the kind of person whom young cricketers can look up to not only because of his success but also because of the way he conducts himself. His remarkable career is proof that nice guys don't finish last. He believes one can be ruthless on the field even while maintaining decorum. He is also a player any captain would like to have when the chips are down, and it's obvious that challenging situations and tough oppositions bring out the best in him. Finally, he is a complete team man who goes about his work with minimum fuss and maximum efficiency.


Not too flamboyant, mostly steady - Dravid is probably the more steadier of the two while Steve, a bit more flamboyant than the other. Steve made the "slog-sweep" his own. What shot does Rahul own? The supremely balanced flick-drive through the mid-wicket would be my pick.

Labels: ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger worma 5:35 AM

I would say 'defensive prod on the off followed by a couple of steps for a quick single before being sent back by the partner' ;-)    



Blogger vishnupavan 7:51 AM

Manish :) Guess he does play that prod thing more than the flick-drive..    



Blogger Stu 1:44 PM

I was in NZ in 1998/99 when India toured and Dravid made a bunch of big scores - averages 107 in the two tests played. He is a class act and any batting purest could watch him all day, as we did of course, in that infamous second Test match in India back in 2001.    



» Post a Comment