Polly Umrigar.. R.I.P

Courtesy: NDTV
One of the all time greats of Indian cricket Polly Umrigar passed away on Tuesday night in Mumbai. He was 80 years old.

Umrigar represented India in 59 Tests and scored 3631 runs at an average of 42.22, and he had also picked 35 wickets with his off-break bowling.

According to reports, he had been keeping unwell since June this year and was believed to be suffering from cancer. In fact, the legendary batsman had missed the BCCI's function felicitating former captains on Saturday.

The first time I heard Polly's name was way back in 1988. I was in 6th grade and was representing my school in some inter-city Quiz. The last round was a rapid-fire round where we had to answer 5 questions in some real quick time. For us to win the event, we had to get all 5 questions right. We got the first 4 correct and then the quiz master asked us to name the first Indian cricketer to score a test double century. I had no clue and I remember my team-mate saying "Dolly something". We lost and I haven't forgotten the answer to that question since. May his soul rest in peace.

Labels: ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment