Vijay Bharadwaj retires

Vijay Bharadwaj made his international debut against SA in the 1999 Nairobi LG Cup. His bowling figures in his first 4 ODI games read 10-3-16-1, 7-0-38-3, 6-0-34-3 and 8-0-34-3. With the bat he made 18*, 41*, 6* and 24. Those performances were enough to fetch him a Man-of-the-Match award and a Man-of-the-series award. He had a slipped disc problem in the 2000 series down-under and though he recovered from it, he was never the same player. He was recalled for the 2001/02 ODI series against Zimbabwe and was run-out for a duck in the only game that he played.

Courtesy: The Hindu

"I never played for money or fame but I always wanted to play for the sheer pride of representing Karnataka. Now though the selectors have not announced the Ranji probables list, I know I am not in that list and hence I don't think there is any point in me extending my career. I am announcing my retirement and I thank my family, friends, KSCA, teammates, my cricket clubs — City Cricketers and BUCC and my employer Canara Bank, for all their support," Bharadwaj said.


He wants to get into coaching/umpiring. Wish him the very best.

Labels: ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Anonymous Anonymous 6:08 AM

Bharadwaj was not a special player and was just lucky to play for India. As if all other players play only for money, fame and recognition etc.

Is he not seeking recognition by announcing retirement in the newspapers? Wonder when Sunil Joshi and Doda Ganesh will retire :)    



Blogger Dr.Vishaal Bhat 2:28 AM

@anonymous

Whether he was a special player or not is not the question. His performances in his first series were wonderful and for some time he looked a very good prospect. Unfortunately he could not continue due to health reasons.

I wish him all the best in future endeavors.    



Blogger karthik 10:56 PM

Well i have seen the commitment of viji in any level of the game, He was always hard working and a model for all young cricketers. He was the best of the best in the karnataka team. He should have been considered in the Indian cricket team as he had the Potential to perform.Though he had a health problem, he recovered, but Selectors couldnt recover.
Anyways I wish my friend all the best for what he is trying to think about the young cricketers carrier.    



» Post a Comment